Connecting Caregivers through Creative Engagement
September 2016–February 2017
A caregivers series offered through Artful Living with Lyngblomsten. Opportunities to promote well-being through creative engagement and self-expression for persons with dementia, their caregivers, and the greater community.
ENGAGE: Foster community connection for caregivers and their care partners through building healthy family and community support networks.
LEARN: Discover new strategies and creative resources for both self-care, and interacting with and supporting your loved one.
EXPERIENCE: Participate in creative engagement programs that promote physical, social, and cognitive benefits.
About Kairos Alive!™
Kairos Alive! transforms lives through dance and story, and promotes the power of creative involvement to nurture, heal, and create community among all ages and abilities. They empower intergenerational and intercultural communities through participatory arts programs—with elders at the center. Learn more.
About Alzheimer's Poetry Project Minnesota (APP-MN)
The mission of APP-MN is to enhance the creativity and well-being of all older Minnesotans. APP-MN's caregivers series is designed to support and inspire caregivers with a broad variety of experience, from those navigating the illness of a child or parent to those caring for a spouse with memory loss. APP-MN draws on the expertise and methodologies developed by Gary Glazner's international Alzheimer's Poetry Project.
Kick-Off Events–Caring for Your Mind, Body, and Spirit
Open to the community. FREE. No registration required.
- Intergenerational Community Dance Hall™ presented by Kairos Alive!™ Come groove with us to a live band at this all ages and abilities dance party! Sunday, September 18, from 2–3:30 PM in the Newman-Benson Chapel at Lyngblomsten.
- Poetry Feast presented by Alzheimer's Poetry Project Minnesota (APP-MN). Afternoon will include a word collage, poetry readings, and collaborative community poems. Wednesday, September 28, from 1:30–3 PM at Lyngblomsten's 5-5-1 Club.
Connecting Caregivers through Creative Engagement series
Open to any caregiver, whether or not caring for someone with Alzheimer's or dementia. Six sessions, as well as one meet-and-greet session. Come to as many as you are able. Cost is $15 for all six sessions, $3 for an individual session.
To register: (651) 632-5330 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Caregiver Creativity Cafe™ presented by Kairos Alive! Join us for creative engagement through dance,music,storytelling, and theater to learn how to care for ourselves and those we love. Meet-and-greet (FREE): Friday, October 7, from 10:30 AM–Noon in the Newman-Benson Chapel at Lyngblomsten. Six sessions: Tuesdays, October 11–November 22 (not meeting on October 18), all from 10:30 AM–Noon in the Newman-Benson Chapel at Lyngblomsten.
- The Surprise of Self presented by APP-MN. Join us for creative engagement through poetry, life stories, and storytelling to care for ourselves and those we love. Meet-and-greet (FREE): Thursday, September 29, from 1:30–2:30 PM in the Newman-Benson Chapel at Lyngblomsten. Six sessions: Thursdays, October 6–November 17 (not meeting on October 27), all from 1:30–2:30 PM in the 5-5-1 Club at Lyngblomsten.
Open to the entire community. FREE. Holiday refreshments will be served. No registration required.
- Intergenerational Community Dance Hall™ presented by Kairos Alive! Come groove with us to a live band at this all ages and abilities dance party! Sunday, December 4, from 2–3:30 PM in the Newman-Benson Chapel at Lyngblomsten.
- Poetry Party presented by APP-MN. Come enjoy community poem creation, make-and-take poetry activities, refreshments, and inspiration with APP-MN poets Zoë Bird and Julie Landsman at a Poetry Party celebrating the winter solstice and the return of the light! Friday, December 9, from 1:30–2:30 PM at Lyngblomsten's 5-5-1 Club.
Contact us to learn more:
Andrea Lewandoski, Director of Lifelong Learning & the Arts
These activities are funded, in part, by the Minnesota State Arts Board through the arts and cultural heritage fund as appropriated by the Minnesota State Legislature with money from the Legacy Amendment vote of the people of Minnesota on November 4, 2008.